Thursday, March 19, 2009

DAUPHIN ISLAND

Yesterday morning, we boarded the Mobile Bay Ferry at Fort Morgan. After waiting for 28 cars to load the ferry we walked our bikes on. Nancy, Denny and I were the only walk-ons headed to Dauphin Island for the day on this trip across Mobil Bay. The ferry was at full capacity for their load of vehicles. The ferry left the dock promptly at 10:15 am headed to Dauphin Island.

We couldn't have asked for a better day. The water was calm, the sun was out as a slight breeze blew. Today, we were aboard the larger ferry with upper decks. Nancy and I walked up to the upper deck to check things out. Once we were up on top the only things we could see were oil rigs, sea gulls, and the water of Mobil Bay. No pictures will be in today's blog. Once aboard the ferry, I discovered my battery was dead in my camera. Oops...I guess I better check the battery next time I'm going on a side trip.

One half hour later we were docking at Dauphin Island. The pedestrians must wait for the cars and trucks to unload. Soon we were off the ferry and we started to bike past the RV park to the Sea Lab Estuarium. Denny and I have been through the Estuarim, but we want to use the restrooms and take a quick look in their gift shop.

Our main reason for coming to Dauphin Island is to bike. So, with a short stop we are back on the black top path beside the road. The main road is only 7 miles long on this island, it's a short distance to all amenities.

We were now headed for The Lighthouse Bakery. The plan is to eat lunch and head to the public beach. We make another rest stop at the local park and get our water bottles out for a drink. Just a short trip down the street at the four way stop and we arrive at The Lighthouse Bakery; just ahead of the lunch crowd. A large sandwich (Nancy and I took half home), chips and drink was enjoyed by all of us.

Next, we head back to the main path, but stop at a local gift shop on the way. Purchases were made; a quick drink of our water and we're on the path again heading for the beach.

Just shortly down the bike path and we stop at the public beach. The beach has plenty of sun bathers. After using the restroom and drinking more water, we are on the path biking pass the local hotel, pizza restaurant and real estate buildings. Before long we turn around and head back. We want to get back to the pier to load the 2:00 pm ferry going back to Ft. Morgan.

We arrive at the pier in plenty of time to take a quick walk on a wood pier and sit at the picnic table until the cars, trucks and motorcyles start to board the ferry. Departing right on time with 22 cars, 2 motorcyles and 9 walk-ons counting us. We were again the only walk-ons with bikes.

The water was a little choppy going back because the wind had picked up from this morning. We all enjoyed our day on Dauphin Island and I know I didn't have any trouble getting to sleep last night after spending a day in the sun and biking.

No comments: