
Monster mounds, that is what the Baldwin Register calls them. We saw many of these mounds on our way down to Gulf Shores once we were in Alababma along side of the highway within several feet of each other.
These mounds can get up to 18 inches high. The Baldwin Register writes that as the weather gets hotter and driver, red ants burrow deeper into the ground to reach cooler temperatures. I really didn't think it has been that hot so far. It is warmer than last year.
Fire ants build these mounds everywere. The picture I attached is of a mound at WalMart in Gulf Shores. Caution must be taken when walking around these feisty little creatures. Within a matter of seconds, an unsuspecting hand or foot can be covered with hundreds of the stinging pests. After latching on with barbed mandibles they sting repeatedly with their spiked tails, releasing a fiery venom published by Baldwin Register.
I hope I am never a fictim of these red ants.
"Goodby until later".
2 comments:
I wouldn't imagine that ants in the states could build something that big. I thought you would only see those in the jungle.
Nathan
You wouldn't want to meet up with this ant hill.
Post a Comment