Friday, February 6, 2009

SPLIT PEYOTE BRACELET


One of my favorite pass times is to bead. This is a hobby I started while in Gulf Shores last year. After returning home last year me and a girl friend continued to bead and spent most of our spare time taking classes and beading. We made many, many bracelets and earrings and set up our jewelry in two craft shows.
The first Split Peyote bracelet I made at a class with copper beads and the beads soon had black blots all over. The bracelet was ruined. I loved the bracelet but didn't like the looks. I brought all of my beads with me and in a couple of days I had another split peyote bracelet made. This time I will spray with lacquer spray. I wouldn't have mined if the bracelet turned like some copper does but the first bracelet was not pretty.
This bracelet is made with delica copper beads. Start with 12 beads and work in peyote stitch for 2 5/8 inches or to the middle of your desired lenghth would be. Then stitch half of the peyote for 1 1/8 inches. Make certain at this point that the beads go over the square donut. When you have reached that point attach more fireline thread with a stop bead and continue to do the other side of the peyote. After both sides are the same length, make sure you are on the outside and continue in peyote stitch across to join both split peyote. Be sure you put the square donut inside before joining the bracelet. Continue in peyote stitch until you reach 2 5/8 inches or your desired size. To finish attach a button to one end of bracelet and beads to form a loop at the opposite end that will fit over your button.
Don't forget to spray with lacquer if using copper beads when finished. In the end you will have a beautiful split peyote bracelet.
"Goodbye until later"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know that happened to your 1st peyote bracelet. That would make me mad. You are so patient when working with those tiny beads.

Pat said...

Thanks for your comment.